How Do I Use Plan Analyst?
You simply fill in the Plan Analyst forms to complete the building description.
To get a code study for a commercial building:
1. First, you enter then building height, number of stories and number of basements.
2. You select the use of each area in the building, enter the floor area, enter the number of exits, travel distance, etc. And select any special conditions that may apply to this use.
3. Next, you enter the property/lot description. For each side, you select lot line, public way or another building and enter the separation distance. You enter the building perimeter and open perimeter.
4. You select the type of construction, if it has a sprinkler system, and the use of the sprinkler system and separation of uses. This screen is interactive. You can select different types of construction, sprinkler use and separation of uses. The results will be shown instantly. You can try different combinations of construction, sprinkler use and separation of uses to find the one that works best for this project.
5. Finally, you select additional features: Elevator, ramp, special locks, penthouse, chute, etc.
Plan Analyst will then search through the code, complete all required time consuming calculations and create a code study for this project that only includes code requirements that apply to this project.
The code study covers:
1. Exiting -
2. Fire protection -
3. Allowable area and floors
4. Sprinkler system requirements
5. Standpipe requirements
6. Alarm requirements
7 Accessibility requirements
8. Roofing requirements
And much more that cannot be listed here
Building departments: You have all the information you need to review the plans for code compliance or discuss the requirements with the person submitting the plans without spending hours finding the code requirements, doing calculations and creating a report.
Architects: This report provides you with the code requirements needed to make your plan comply with the code including instant answers for what if I add occupancy separations, move the project on the site or add sprinklers, etc. Now you have complete confidence in code compliance, preventing delays when the plans are submitted for approval.
This will make the plan review process faster and more accurate.
Next you create a correction report by reviewing the questions in the correction report section. The questions are customized to include only what is specific to this project. When you have reviewed and answered the prompted questions a correction report is created complete with verifying code references.
If you are checking paper plans, you can attach this report to the plans eliminating client code questions.
If you are checking plans using AutoDesk Design review, you can simply cut and paste the required corrections from Plan Analyst to the Callouts boxes at the appropriate places on the plan. NO PAPER
All you need is a copy of the plans and a computer with Plan Analyst installed. You’re ready to go!
Copyright © Ben Weese and Associates.
Building Code Study/Plan Check Software